A crown is a dental restoration that completely covers a tooth. Crowns are often used to protect and strengthen teeth that are weak, broken, cracked, or have undergone a root canal. A crown can also improve the appearance of a tooth or be used to hold a dental bridge in place. At Collins Dental, a dental bridge is a dental restoration that replaces a missing tooth or teeth.
A crown is a restoration that completely encircles a tooth or dental implant. It restores the tooth’s size, shape, and strength and improves its appearance. Dental crowns can be made from several materials, including porcelain fused to metal and all-ceramic, permanently cemented in your smile.
The Benefits of Dental Crowns
The primary purpose of a crown is to restore a tooth’s function and appearance. When a tooth has a large filling, it may become weak and unable to withstand regular biting forces. A crown can be placed over the tooth to strengthen its structure and protect it from further damage. Other reasons for placing a dental crown include the following:
- Fixing a misshapen or discolored tooth.
- Covering a dental implant.
- Completing root canal therapy.
- Holding a bridge in place.
- Secure a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth to hold it securely.
A bridge is a prosthetic tooth cemented using your existing teeth or dental implants for support. The false tooth sits between two crowns, which fit over the adjacent teeth and serve as anchors for the bridge. A bridge may be a good option if you are missing a tooth in a row of three or more teeth. An implant-supported bridge is an option for patients needing a restoration who have lost one or more teeth but have enough bone in the jaw to support implants. The bridge is fabricated by a professional dental laboratory from impressions taken by a dentist. A replacement tooth is attached to the two crowns that anchor it in your mouth.
The Benefits Of Dental Bridges
- It restores the appearance of your smile by filling the gap in your teeth with a natural-looking artificial tooth.
- Your teeth no longer shift or move around in your mouth, allowing them to return to their proper positions over time and preventing additional dental health concerns.
- The surrounding teeth are supported and held in place by the structure that’s attached to them. This can help to prevent tooth loss in the affected area.
- They help to restore your ability to speak and eat properly.
- They improve your self-confidence by giving you a smile you’re proud to show off.
Dental crowns and bridges are great solutions for several cosmetic and functional issues. Collins Dental can be found at 1900 7th St, Las Vegas, NM 87701, or by calling (505) 425-3331 for the best dental care tailored to your needs.